Steph’s Log to Snowmageddon 2010
For my mom and because this island girl ‘aint never seen so much snow in her life!
SNOWPACALYPSE PART DEUX
NOAA’s National Weather Service has issued a winterstorm warning for the mid-atlantic seaboard predicting blizzard-like conditions and a storm that may likely bring 20 inches to the DMV area. This storm has also become the center of media focus with many meteorologists calling it much like NPR did: Paralyzing. Sensastionalist, yes. If you’re a wimp like me, you may come across a bit of hate from friends or colleagues boasting origins in the mid-west (Chicago, namely, and maybe Ann Arbor, Michigan) and the thickest skin in America because this storm is nothing short of a drizzle by mid-west standards. Thanks a lot guys, this is nothing and we are wimps, you’re right, but in light of that, a (second) storm like this is a bit out of the ordinary, and in my defense, it’s not so much the elements I’m most afraid of as it is the scrambling of people. It doesn’t help that the media’s fear of this storm is greater than my very own, but alas, like a zombie (yessuh), I made sure to follow what the talking box told me to do and take emergency precaution. Such precautions consisted mostly of making sure I had enough grub to avoid having to move for the next couple of days. (As if I would be moving a whole lot anyway; it’s Friday). Aside from my cat-killing curiosity to go to the grocery store just to observe the spectacle of frenzied idiots with fear in their eyes walk-running and ransacking the produce and grain aisles, I have no other desire to be anywhere near other people be it on the road or in the stores because of the mad rush before the storm. Check this out: Click Click: Welcome to the Grocery Store Thunderdome . So yeah, I’ll count on staying in. And maybe playing video games or watching movies. But then again, how is this different from any other Friday? Oh, that’s right. We have an excuse now: A PARALYZING BLIZZARD RIPPING THROUGH THE REGION! AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! Ok, moving on… (Special thanks to Mother Nature for being our collective scapegoat to lethargy).
5 February 2010
- 1030AM: LOG BEGINS
- 1031AM: it has officially started snowing. Three firetrucks arrive downstairs. Curious. Should I be worried?
- 1116AM: forgot about fire trucks. they came and they went. to gold’s gym. Snow is light, not sticky.
- 1222PM: Twitter hashtags gaining popularity:#snOMG , #snowpocalypse2 and more recently my personal favorite: #snowmageddon . Snow is heavier now; still not especially sticky.
- 1244PM: Blog article comes out on popular DC hashtags for the snowstorm: The Second #snOMG Cometh – DC’s Best Snowtags current temperature: 34ºF
- As of 105PM:
- 134PM National Weather Service estimates 30” of snow, ten more inches than predicted. Tonight – 16-22” possible; Tomorrow – 5-9” possible.
- 154PM i just ate myself stupid. in other news, rumors purport a snowball fight with an estimated 2000 people “rsvp”ed to take place in DC you know, if there’s enough snow. (snowball fight similar to the last blizzard of 2009 in which an off duty 5-0 brandished a gun after getting pelted: see Eyewitness Confirms: D.C. Cop Freaks Out Over Snowball Fight–Brandishes Gun).
- 315PM snow resembling sticky; much heavier, flakes fluffier. current temperature 33ºF. status: deep in ps3. brb.
- As of 319PM:
Photo of the Day:
- 437PM #snowtoriousbig
- 622PM Daaaammmnnn, it’s getting nasty out. The winds have picked up and the snow is coming down pretty heavily right now. It’s already after dark and the neighborhood is a ghost town (except, of course, for the bars). Gusts tonight up to 37MPH. Not pretty at all.
- As of 624PM:
- 752PM If you’re looking for some trouble, NPR reports Mass Snowball Fights Planned For Nation’s Capital – The best quote of all: “This snow so far is on the wet and dense side, so the snow balls made from these flakes are bound to hurt on impact.” Below is the schedule according to another article Gun-Free Snowball Fights Planned from NBC.
SNOWBALL FIGHT SCHEDULE
- “Official DuPont Circle Snowball Fight” Saturday, 2/6/10 2PM EST, DuPont Circle, 2000 estimated attendees
- “No Guns This Time, MPDC” snowball fight Saturday, 2/6/10 noon EST at The Ellipse (near the White House)
- “Snowpacalypse II: Snowball Fight & Snow Kickball” Saturday, 2/6/10 from 3PM – midnite EST, Smithsonian Metro Station, Washington Mall
- “Snowball Fight of 2010″ sponsored by CarbonfreeDC, Saturday, 2/6/10 1PM EST, 236 R St. NW (at the field one block south; take New York Avenue Metro)
- The “Columbia Heights Snowball Fight , Saturday, 2/6/10 2PM EST, Malcolm X/Meridian Hill Park (16th and Euclid streets NW)
- And another snowball fight on The National Mall, Saturday, 2/6/10 3PM, EST, 4th Street NW& Madison Drive
- As of 819PM:
- 827PM There’s a dude downstairs building a snowman; it has accumulated that much!
- 937PM Neighborhoods are fun in the snow!
6 February 2010
- 810AM Stroll to the same park:
(L) That’s snow up to my knees! (R) That’s my usual bench! (Where I sit, drinking a latte and people watch at the neighborhood dog park. I’m more entertained by the people, I tell you)
- 817AM: Dogs and dogowners are always the first out enjoying the snow:
- 820AM Then (930PM) and Now (8AM): That poor car parked in the snow
- 822AM Then and Now: the burial of the corner stop sign:
- 827AM Lots and lots of snow! Main thoroughfare of my neighborhood:
- 830AM Because the sidewalks are not plowed, pedestrians walk on the road (also not plowed but not as bad). I almost got hit by a red mini-cooper while crossing the street (I didn’t realize one could drive a mini with snow levels covering nearly half its tires) and also by a snowplow, who was on the sidewalk and began reversing his truck right into me. Charming.
- As of 837AM:
- 844AM Blizzard Targets Nation’s Capital, Mid-Atlantic -via NPR; sources say this snowstorm “could be the biggest for the nation’s capital in modern history.” See also: Brrr! Blizzard Of 2010 Buries D.C., Much Of Mid-Atlantic
- 929AM The snowmageddon has had meteorologists flipping out. Like weatherman Jim Kosek right here (out of Baltimore, MD):
- 1156PM The New York Times reports: Snow Cripples Nations Capital
- As of 1201PM:
- 1217PM Holy snowstorm! Here, a view from my window:
- 134PM I hear tell folks brought out their equipment and were skiing around DuPont Circle in the snow. In my neighborhood, while it wasn’t as flashy as a, oh, say 1000 person snowball fight, people did take advantage of a faux Winter Wonderland. I saw one person ski by, and while I was out surveying the neighborhood park, this lady came walking by sporting her cool equipment (while pretending to be out in the boonies, she trekked through the snow and emerged near Barnes and Noble):
- 137PM Dogs and dog owners, like I said, probably had the most fun out there today. This pup is a staple figure in the neighborhood dog community mostly because he reminds me of Beethoven. His owner must have landed lots of ladies thanks to him:
Below, the canine community snowpocalpyse meet-and-greet:
- As of 213PM:
- 237PM Rumors have it and some pics confirm, 1000 people showed up for the DuPont snowball fight.
Video from the DuPont Circle Snowball Fight can be found via the Washington Post at: Ready, aim, fire! Twitter snowball fight quote of the day: “Went to the dc snowball fight in dupont…have a fat lip from getting hit in the face.”
(Photos from @evbr)
Before (8AM) and after (330PM): That poor car parked in the snow
Before & After: Burial of the corner stop sign
- 330: More photos of the neighborhood under the snowpocalypse!
- 333PM More photos of the neighborhood under a very thick blanket of snow:
- 537PM And like a storm, as fast as it came, away it went:
- As of 832PM Bon voyage, Monsieur Snowstorm, it’s been real! Tomorrow’s sunny aftermath ought to be interesting: